I used to come home after work and be completely exhausted. At the time my total commute time each day was just over an hour and a half and I generally had been at work for 9-10 hours. I’d get home and just want to sit in front of the TV or computer and veg out. I was talking to someone recently that is in a similar situation, but she is aware that the fatigue she’s feeling is mostly in her head. She pointed out that if someone were to call her while she was tired and vegging out and tell her that she just won the lottery she would suddenly have LOTS of energy! And nothing but her attitude would have changed.
Being aware that you have the power to change how you feel is a great first step toward doing it. I know that for me, I can know I have the power to change my attitude and still find it really difficult to do. I know that sometimes I really enjoyed wallowing in it. I enjoyed the woe-is-me place because I didn’t have to do a lot there. I got to sit on my butt and watch TV because, dang it, I deserved it after the crappy day I had and besides, I was just soooo tired!
So, what are somethings you can do to change that I’m-too-tired feeling?
- Give yourself permission to have that feeling for 10 minutes. Set a timer if that helps you and then get up and do something else (or move on to one of the other suggestions below”
- What is one thing that you want to accomplish? Go and do that.
- Go for a walk or get some exercise. It’ll get your blood moving!
- Get more sleep! Go to bed earlier or get up a little later
- Drink more water. Being tired could be a sign that you’re not getting enough water.
- Eat something. Maybe you’re blood sugar is low.
What are somethings that you do to re-energize yourself like you won the lottery?